Follow us on:

States / Uttar Pradesh

Uttar Pradesh

  • Font Size



Uttar Pradesh located in the northern part of India is the most populous state of the country with a total population of 19.98 crore according to census 2011. The state is famous for some of its architectural wonders like the Taj Mahal and Agra fort. Spread over a vast area, it shares its borders with nine states and Nepal to the north. Almost 77.73% of the population live in rural areas and the rest (22.27%) live in urban areas. The state’s literacy rate is 67.68%. According to the 2011 census, the state’s ST population is 0.56% and SC population is 20.69%. The state’s economy is driven by agriculture and service sector comprising of tourism, hotel industry and real estate. Perennial rivers, dense forests, fertile soil and green pastures across the state has contributed to the economy of the state. With the objective of promoting and improving livelihoods of the disadvantaged sections of the rural population, Uttar Pradesh State Rural Livelihood Mission (UPSRLM) was registered as an independent society under the aegis of Department of Rural Development. Recently the SRLM was named as PRERNA to accord a wider publicity to the activities of UPSRLM. The state has 75 districts, 814 blocks and 52905 gram panchayats. UP was one of the earliest states in the country to implement the UP Panchayat Raj Act in the year 1947.

Kudumbashree NRO will be working in Uttar Pradesh for implementing SVEP. 


The MoU between UP SRLM and Kudambashree NRO for the purpose of implementing SVEP in Najibabad block in Bijnor district was signed in November, 2017.upsvep A state-level stakeholder orientation workshop was conducted in Lucknow immediately afterwards. Two mentors from Kudumbashree NRO were engaged in the field to coordinate mobilization, selection and orientation of Community Resource Persons for Enterprise Promotion (CRPs-EP). The CRPs-EP were engaged in the data collection process for the preparation of Detailed Project Report (DPR) about the block before actual enterprise development processes are put in place. An enterprise census was conducted to cover all the enterprises in each block. A sample household survey and a sample enterprise survey were conducted to calculate the demand-supply gap in the block for the purpose of arriving at potential number of enterprises to be supported under SVEP. Focussed group discussions were also conducted by mentors with representatives from the SHG federations at the cluster level to understand potential areas of enterprise development in the block. Data from various government sources were also collected as part of the field level data collection process for DPR.
The field level data collection was completed in Uttar Pradesh by January, 2018. The DPR will be submitted for approval to NRLM in February, 2018.



Last updated on Tuesday, 30 January 2018 16:57